Hi All,
This is really a BS issue of little relevance to anything, given that the
scales served their purpose, in establishing that it was essential to keep
hydrated whilst flying gliders.

However the point here is "just exactly where are the scales today?" given that
they are without doubt GFA property. Ann thinks??? she may have given them to
Lisa Trotter. For various reasons I find this unlikely. However for the record,
I ask the question, "Lisa do you have the scales, or know anything about where
they might currently be"?

In further looking into this matter, in a GA article (the date of which I
failed to note) Maurie described the scales, their cost, and their accuracy
(which was "within 50 grams"), the results that he had achieved, and what his
further intentions were. In this last matter, in a nutshell, he wanted to do
multiple tests on the same pilot over as many flights that he could record. As
far as I can tell this never happened, as of course Maurie suffered health
issues, which soon thereafter led to his death.

What you must understand here, is that what Maurie was doing was a very
intrusive procedure, and that he was relying totally on the good-will of the
pilots who agreed to be part of his experiment. So from that aspect the
experiment was a "bit ad hoc". However, I think it says a great deal about the
man in that he was able to get the cooperation of the top competition pilots of
the time.

For the record, the heart rate monitors were strapped around the body at chest
height under the pilots clothing. Cathy has told us what happened to those
monitors.

Gary