From: aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net
[mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net] On Behalf Of Mike
Borgelt
Sent: Tuesday, 3 September 2013 10:48 AM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Hello

I see, pointing out reality is "painting everything in a negative light".

Longer term the Aussie dollar has been around 0.60 Euro. Currently gliders
are about 7.5% cheaper than when this was the case. During the GFC it went
down to under 0.50 for a while, as low as 0.49 or 0.48 I think. It then
recovered to 0.60 or slightly higher by late 2009 and continued to rise to
over 0.80 and in the last year  has slipped to where it is now.

If you bought 100,000 Euro at 0.8 it cost A$125,000

If you do that today the same number of Euro will cost you A$155,000 and
change, a 24% increase.

Hardly all that minor.

The exchange rate is back to where it was in February 2010. The peak was
August 2012 at a rate of 0.85 and a bit. A 31% decline since then.

See here: http://www.oanda.com/currency/historical-rates/  you can set up
the Euro-AUD rate and look back  5 years. The trajectory right now isn't
looking good. If you are planning on buying a glider it would be a good idea
to buy the Euro now or get forward cover.

Mike