Hi all,

As someone else remarked, competition flying is fun.  It is challenging, it
gives you a benchmark, it allows you to learn from better pilots, and it
forces you not to be lazy – every morning someone tells you where to go, and
quite often it’s not the place (or the distance) you would have chosen by
yourself.

There are basically three levels of gliding competition in Australia.
Nationals, State Comps and “regattas” – by which I mean events like Horsham
Week, the Queensland Easter regatta and similar.  Pretty much they all run
to the Nationals rules, the differences being the length of the events, the
entry criteria and the tasks that are set.  At regattas the tasks tend to be
shorter and set over good country – there is a more conservative approach to
tasking in poor weather; while at the Nationals there will be some
challenging and longer tasks set.  Those who saw the town of Mansfield close
up during the last Nationals at Benalla can attest to that!

There have to be entry criteria, for safety of both the individual and the
group.  No one expects a P plate driver to enter Bathurst, or ride at
Phillip Island.  No one expects a wobbly cyclist to start in the Tour de
France.

The entry criteria are flexible.  While the rules state minimum standards,
they also allow the organisers some discretion, even at Nationals level.  As
a contest director at Nationals I have on occasion allowed someone to fly
who lacked the formal entry requirements.  This is done carefully, and with
appropriate counselling and a watchful eye – but I have yet to be
disappointed in my decision.

At State and National level it is often the case that pilots are in the air
for 5 to 6 hours on each flight, and then go out and do the same the next
day, and the day after… it is an endurance sport, and at every level to do
well you need a dose of commitment, good health, and preferably match
fitness.

At the last Horsham week I flew 5 days and more than 20 hours – 2 days with
more than 5 hour flights.  And that’s an entry level regatta, where
beginning competitors are welcomed and encouraged. So if you have not done
your 5 hours yet, enter a competition – that problem will soon be solved!

None of this is designed to discourage.  Anyone with a minimum of experience
can have a go at the regatta level, that’s what they are for.  Sharing
gliders is common and welcome, flying in 2 seaters with coaches makes a good
start, so I encourage anyone who is interested to have a go.  Come to a
coaching event – Speedweek, Horsham Coaching, G Dales courses at Benalla,
Lake Keepit and elsewhere.  Read – there’s heaps of stuff on the website,
Bernard Eckey’s book is terrific, and just fly, fly, fly…  There is
absolutely no substitute in this game for just doing it.

See you all on a gliding site.  Soon.

Cheers

Tim

Tra dire e fare c’è mezzo il mare