Dear All,

Preamble

Discussion on “ Pilot Qualifications” at a competition has been tossed about
almost ad nauseam on this web site. Let me say that at a Nationals level
they are currently quite unambiguously defined in Clause 13.1 and 13.2 of
the National Rules V2.5 Sep 2013. (Thanks Mandy). Further, clause 13.3 quite
clearly gives the CD discretion to waiver these requirements under defined
circumstances. It has already  been said that State rules tend to follow the
national rules. However they can (and rightly do), differ in places. All the
essential reasons for these differences have also been given in the
foregoing discussion.

I agree with everything that Tim said in his post, especially;

1.       Match fitness – which most definitely includes physical fitness,
and psychological fitness.

2.       “.... just fly, fly, fly ... There is absolutely no substitute in
the game for just doing it.”

Paul Mander very recently gave you Sebastian Kawa’s viewpoint about
improving  your competition flying skills, which is basically similar to
point 2 above – fly lots of competitions. However competition flying is by
no means the only type of flying that pilots do, so see below my note on
flying at the beginning and end of the day.

Just for the sake of the argument, let me put an alternative viewpoint to
Tim’s statement “ .......forces you not to be lazy”

At a competition or regatta a well oiled team is set up which does huge
amounts of work – this means that YOU do not have to do it!

·         You do not have to puzzle over the weather – the organization
supplies a met man who will not only present the weather information, but
interpret it too.

·         You do not have to work out a task for the day – unless you are
nominated to the task selection committee. You should view this as an
opportunity to influence outcomes if you are experienced, and as an
important  learning experience  if you are newish to competition flying.

·         You do not have to work out a launch time – just grid up.

·         You do not have to organise a tug, tug pilot, wing runner etc,  or
maybe a winch team to launch you – “it all just happens”, gee, golly, gosh!

·         There are usually lots of people around, so it is relatively easy
to line up a retrieve crew, to come and get you  in the event of an
outlanding. Hint :Think “I will scratch your back if you scratch mine.”

·         You will get fed on site at the end of the day, and usually lunch
and breakfast can be provided too.

HOWEVER PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU DO HAVE TO MAKE THE EFFORT TO GET TO THE
COMPETION.

Another point to keep in mind  results from the intrinsic  nature of a
modern gliding competition: It is this  - you will be doing the actual
racing (the task),  in the “eye of the day”.... unless you and  the task
setters got it badly wrong. In the bigger picture, this is not a  good thing
– it is highly desirable to have (and use), the skills necessary to fly
competently at the very beginning and at the very end of the day too.
However please keep in mind that it does take a substantial amount of time
to marshal and launch up to say 60 gliders on the one day.  This is the
accepted reality, the upshot of which is that  it can make some things
relatively easier for the pilot at a competition.  As to the additional
skills, you can develop them with your own dedicated practice.

Just one further thing, which SHOULD be self evident, is that flying a
glider in a competition  is NOT like flying a power plane, and it is NOT
like having a lazy fly around at the home airfield either. I can remember a
time many years ago now, when an experienced airline pilot who had very
little time in gliders, rocked up to a (State) competition, and was VERY
miffed when the Safety Officer (acting for the CD), declined to accept his
entry – which BTW was made on the day. He was rejected on the basis that he
did not have enough gliding experience, and was a potential hazard to
himself and all the other pilots. Yes, this pilot had picked up the physical
piloting skills in an hour or two, but he had no real experience of the
gliding environment, let alone the competition gliding environment. I don’t
think this pilot ever came back to the sport, and in my opinion, that was a
bloody good thing. He was not prepared to accept the umpires’ decision and
go away and get more glider time and experience (and get those nominated
competition entry pre-requisites),  and then come back and have another go.
It was quite apparent that he had a completely wrong mind-set, and I have no
doubt (especially with hindsight), that  the Safety Officer  made the right
call. To put this story in perspective, this is the only occasion where I
have ever come across or heard such a case. Normally all the checks and
balances, starting with the Letter from the Club CFI regarding a pilot’s
competency, comes into play, before we get to a situation such as I have
described.

Gary