I was once sailing near Dangerous Reef on a moonless night in fog near port
Lincoln.

The compass kept on turning through 360 degrees and we finally shone a light
out from the stern to look at the wake.

Sure enough we were going in circles but did not believe the compass.

Lucky we had a torch as a back up to the compass!

Michael