Very happy to recommend the Borgelt B700 vario for club gliders. I have put
a couple in club gliders, and then installed one in my own glider and think
it is really good. The back-up battery function really obviates the need for
a mechanical vario and enables you to get away from all complications of
having electronic and mechanical varios plumbed together (ie splitting of
the TE line, gust filters etc). The volume control is easy to adjust in
flight through a spring switch. The display is great and the averager is
easy to read which is important for early cross-country pilots. It offers
other features (ie integrator, three tones, coloured arrows for
increasing/decreasing climb rates) which can be easily selected or
de-selected if required/not required. I use this in conjunction with a 5"
Avier/Vertica display running XC Soar (but not connected to the B700) on a
ram mount, and I think this would work well with Club gliders.

Rgds

John