At 07:18 PM 6/12/2014, you wrote:
Mike.

Unsure how the mechanics of the colibri2 vario work. But it seems to do a pretty good job of compensating. It may be using the gps data to compensate for speed changes. My next glider won't have a mech vario as a backup. Between a good vario with backup power and the C2 as a get me home style vario

Unfortunately that doesn't work if there is any wind.

The compensation signal is V x dV/dt where V is TAS. dV/dt is rate of change of TAS.

If you are circling at 50 knots in a 20 knot wind the V bit will go from 30 knots to 70 knots if you use the GPS.

Sure once you get "the wind" (in a convective atmosphere this gets difficult to define in the shorter term)by doing a couple of circles you can refine this but the dV/dt bit is very sensitive to errors in the wind calculation. As with the horizontal gust sensitivity it is the dV/dt term that causes the problem in the first place.

Mike

Borgelt Instruments - design & manufacture of quality soaring instrumentation since 1978
www.borgeltinstruments.com
tel:   07 4635 5784     overseas: int+61-7-4635 5784
mob: 042835 5784                :  int+61-42835 5784
P O Box 4607, Toowoomba East, QLD 4350, Australia