      From: "jo...@optusnet.com.au" <jo...@optusnet.com.au>
 To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
<aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>
 Sent: Tuesday, 3 February 2015, 17:05
 Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Shell 98 and fibreglass

Most (all?) oil companies will tell you that mogas is not approved for aviation
use.  There are a number of reasons for this but one is the much greater
compositional variability of mogas compared with avgas.  This has little to do
with additives, which are used  at very low treat rates, but rather the
composition of the fuel itself. As for testing fuel in Sydney, you could, but
by the time you get any results they will be meaningless because a number of
batches of fuel from various offshore refineries will have passed through the
distribution system in the mean time.  All it would tell you is the effect on
resin of the fuel which happened to be in the service station tanks 3 months
ago. ...John

From: Future Aviation Pty. Ltd. Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 3:16 PMTo:
Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia. Subject: Re:
[Aus-soaring] Shell 98 and fibreglass Hi Ian  Many thanks for sharing that with
us. It confirms what Gerhard Waibel told me about 15 years ago. He said that
fuel bladders are preferable to wing tanks "because you never know what
additives get added to the fuel in future and what they do to the resins used
in those wing tanks”. Fuel bladders are easy to replace, but wing tanks …..
Kind regards to all! Bernard
 On 3 Feb 2015, at 2:14 pm, Ian Mc Phee <mrsoar...@gmail.com> wrote:    This is
sample of I think 3 layers of 125 glass which was left in shell 98 for about 2
months.   The glass is now soft and can be easily twisted like say clear
packaging.   It is a bit sticky on surface. It seems it will never harden up
again. Thus under no circumstances would I use Shell or Liberty 98 from say out
of Brisbane in any aircraft with fibreglass tanks. Jabiru web site say do not
use shell 98 in any Jabiru but 95,and Avgas is OK. Royal Dutch Shell  sold out
to another Dutch company for retail of fuel in Australia and they have the
right to use the name Shell. My next test is sample of Shell 98 and BP 98 as
well as Avgas. The Shell is a golden yellow while BP is more neutral colour.
Smell is different also. If any body would like a mini movie of the sample then
ask.  I would urge others down south (Sydney, Vic & SA) to try their fuels. Ian