On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 8:32 PM, Tim Shirley <tshir...@internode.on.net>
wrote:

> Flarms are standalone devices.  They won't stop working tomorrow, because
> there is nothing to stop them working.

No, but they will stop working on March 31st, if you're still running v5.
And every subsequent year on subsequent versions.

> A Flarm on V5 will see a Flarm on V5 just the same for ever, so it is
> probably better for the upgrade at a club, or in an area where gliders
> often fly together, to be co-ordinated.  Making an instant change to your
> own Flarm might simply disable yours :)

Right, and the only rational time to upgrade is immediately - you don't
know who's already upgraded around you. I see gliders from other clubs,
sometimes other states almost every weekend.

> Flarm is being 100% consistent in its policy, and if that is irresponsible
> well then more irresponsibility from Tony Abbott would be good (if that is
> possible).  They have NEVER guaranteed that a major version upgrade is
> backward compatible, in fact they have always said that any backward
> compatibility between major versions is coincidental.  I make no comment on
> the reasons or the necessity for this policy.
>
> I do not understand what you mean by 100% consistent in it's policy. Which
policy?
Maybe they have some enormous safety improvements in the new firmware that
justifies the suboptimal functionality for the next fortnight. If so I
don't think it's been adequately justified to us, the users.

There's nothing wrong with a Flarm, except for the far too high
> expectations we have of it.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a premium priced piece of
technology explicitly designed to prevent collisions to be potentially
unable to do so for weeks of the year.

Just look out the window - no version changes required but make sure your
> specs are up to spec.

Fortunately I can still walk when my car is broken too.