Paul Brooks wrote:
On 23/11/2018 11:37 AM, Alex Samad wrote:
Wondering what the implications of this bill and the recent China was stealing
our
traffic....

So in theory could china steal / sniff our traffic and because of these
weakening of
encryption allow china to snope on our stuff

In theory no - this bill doesn't weaken encryption, and explicitly doesn't
allow any
changes that would weaken encryption.

This bill seeks to bypass encryption entirely by giving the agencies easier
access to
get into devices and the back-end databases of apps and websites, to see what is
stored in there -bypassing unlock codes, PINS, thumbprint readers etc on
devices for
example. So for traffic being sniffed 'in the middle' the information is still
sent/received as fully encrypted - and man-in-the-middle snooper won't see
anything.

I wonder how it would affect HDMI/HDCP enabled devices then.. from my understanding all protected (encrypted) content is transmitted encrypted, decoded, re-encoded (where necessary) so it is always encrypted on the wire (I know that's pushing way beyond the desired scope of the legislation, but what's good for the goose is of course good for the gander..)

--
Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/