When do you call link(1) in lieu of ln(1)?

BTW: the rationale for ln says:
        This volume of POSIX.1-2008 does not allow the ln utility
        to unlink existing destination paths by default for the
        following reasons:

        The ln utility has historically been used to provide locking for
        shell applications, a usage that is incompatible with ln unlinking
        the destination path by default.  There was no corresponding
        technical advantage to adding this functionality.