Geoff Clare <g...@opengroup.org> wrote, on 10 Aug 2018:

> Actually, I think the existing description of Field Splitting handles
> it correctly.
[...]
> So I think just deleting that paragraph, as bugnote 4082 currently has
> it, is the right thing to do.

I decided that this was worth an explicit mention in Field Splitting,
particularly because it applies even for the IFS="" case.  I have
updated bugnote 4082 as follows:

On page 2359 line 75266 section 2.6.5, append a new sentence to the
2nd paragraph:

    If no fields are delimited, for example if the input is empty or
    consists entirely of IFS white space, the result shall be zero
    fields (rather than an empty field).

On page 2359 line 75273 section 2.6.5, change:

    If the value of IFS is null, no field splitting shall be performed.

to:

    If the value of IFS is null, field splitting shall have no effect,
    except that if the input is empty the result shall be zero fields.

--
Geoff Clare <g.cl...@opengroup.org>
The Open Group, Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading, RG1 1AX, England