Chet Ramey <chet.ra...@case.edu> wrote, on 24 Jun 2019:

> On 6/24/19 11:51 AM, Stephane Chazelas wrote:

> >> If you want the standard to say that, then propose language to make the
> >> standard say it. It doesn't say that now, and that's the root of this
> >> entire discussion. At this point, we're just talking in circles.
> > [...]
> >
> > Before going in the details of the language, can we at least
> > agree on what the "intention" should be?
>
> Your intention is obvious. It's in the part I quoted.
>
> Pathname expansion is performed on words that contain an unquoted
> `*', `?', or valid unquoted bracket expression.

There is a complication involving invalid bracket expressions.  The
standard currently says:

    If the pattern contains an open bracket ('[') that does not
    introduce a bracket expression as in XBD Section 9.3.5, it is
    unspecified whether other unquoted pattern matching characters
    within the same slash-delimited component of the pattern retain
    their special meanings or are treated as ordinary characters. For
    example, the pattern "a*[/b*" may match all filenames beginning
    with 'b' in the directory "a*[" or it may match all filenames
    beginning with 'b' in all directories with names beginning with
    'a' and ending with '['.

So if the intention is that pathname expansion is only performed for
patterns that contain some characters that will be treated as special,
then on implementations which take the "treated as ordinary characters"
option, any special characters that are treated as ordinary because of
this should not trigger pathname expansion.

--
Geoff Clare <g.cl...@opengroup.org>
The Open Group, Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading, RG1 1AX, England