On 9/8/20 10:40 AM, Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group wrote:
     Date:        Tue, 8 Sep 2020 17:11:16 +0100
     From:        "Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group"
<austin-group-l@opengroup.org>

   | Initially I had assumed (from the Solaris man page) that sig2str()
   | only translated signal numbers, and specified it as returning -1 for
   | this case. Then I decided I should check whether that's right, and
   | discovered that Solaris translates 0 to "EXIT".

That's fine.   Stupid of them, but OK.

According to our code history, that's the way it came from AT&T in 1988.
It looks like they added it in SVR4.0 - I don't see it in the SVR3 sources
we have archived.

They used it in the implementation of the killall command (to translate the
signal argument) and of the /bin/sh shell (for the kill builtin, and as
guessed, for trap).

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-               alan.coopersm...@oracle.com
         Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/alanc

  • [1003.1(2016... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • [1003.1... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Alan Coopersmith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... Alan Coopersmith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group