Robert Elz wrote, on 09 Sep 2020:

> And thanks for the tutorial on how to use e-mail - but my e-mail client
> doesn't have a "reply all" function, I don't want it to, the notion of
> just "reply" vs "reply all" is absurdly simplistic.   What I have is "reply"
> which by default replies to the Reply-To if there is one, otherwise the
> From+To+Cc list (more or less the equivalent of what you consider to be

There's your problem right there.  You are using an email client that
is not fit for purpose.

> That's the way it should work - the Reply-To field
> is the one you are supposed to use to suggest to me where you prefer to have
> replies sent

The part after the "-" is (partially) correct. However, it in no way
implies that email clients should behave the way yours does.

The Reply-To header is used to indicate where the author prefers to
have replies sent *instead of the address in the From header*.

Therefore when replying (using whichever of the reply functions the email
client provides) the only difference that the presence of Reply-To should
have is that the reply address(es) the client offers contain the Reply-To
address(es) in place of the From address.  All other addresses (if any)
taken from other headers should be the same. Using the presence of
Reply-To to decide whether or not to include To+CC is just plain broken.

--
Geoff Clare <g.cl...@opengroup.org>
The Open Group, Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading, RG1 1AX, England

  • Re: [1003.1(2016)/Is... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: [1003.1(201... Alan Coopersmith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: [1003.1(201... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: [1003.1... Alan Coopersmith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: [10... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: [10... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: [1003.1(201... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Replying to the... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: Replyin... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: Replying to... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: Replyin... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: Rep... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: Replyin... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: Rep... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: Rep... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Mai... Andrew Josey via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • mai... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re:... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Mark Harris via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group