Robert Elz wrote, on 12 Sep 2020:

> How you can manage to reconcile this in the standard, more precisely
> that saying "the r and R commands reply to the current message, using
> different, but otherwise unspecified, addresses obtained from the header
> of the current message" (in better prose than that, one would hope), I
> don't know, and that's not very useful to anyone.

Perhaps one way forward would be to require that mailx can be
configured so that "R" and "r" behave in a particular way, but that
it need not be the default configuration.

While reading through the various responses, I also realised that
there is a fourth problem to add to the list I originally gave.
(I forget who's response made me think of it, but for convenience
I'll just put the details here. Apologies for not giving credit
where due.)

As stated before, the description of "r" says the reply is sent
to "all recipients included in the header of the message". The
fourth problem is:

4. "r" is required NOT to send the reply to the author/sender of the
message, but only to its (known) recipients.  (So the author/sender
will only get the reply if they were included in "To:" or "Cc:".)

--
Geoff Clare <g.cl...@opengroup.org>
The Open Group, Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading, RG1 1AX, England

          • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Andrew Josey via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Mark Harris via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • [1003.1(2016... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group