Hello!

I wonder about POSIX.utf-?8, i tried to remember any statement
i had read, and Mantis did not show up results.

In particular i am interested in whether LC_CTYPE results will
bring true Unicode support or not, the reason i am asking is that
the upcoming version of my work-box GNU LibC-based (2.34) Linux
distribution will provide it like

  localedef -i POSIX -f UTF-8 $PKG/usr/lib/locale/C.UTF-8 2> /dev/null || true

and then this thing is detected as an UTF-8 locale, but causes
three test failures of the MUA i maintain because character set
conversion behaves differently.

My personal opinion was that POSIX.utf8 will bring the complete
range of Unicode characters to at least LC_CTYPE, i wonder about
LC_COLLATE, as language matching is, hm, very language specific.
The rest not (maybe LC_MESSAGES going for UTF-8 though).

Is that approximately correct?

Thanks and Ciao! from Germany,

--steffen

|(By Robert Gernhardt)

  • Future of locale, wi... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group