The first Issue 8 draft is focusing, afaik, on adding the C1x changes and
Mantis Issue 8 tagged items. The changes to XBD 6, 7, etc., that will formally
add a POSIX UTF8 locale are to be part of the second, maybe third, draft. This
is why you don't see them yet.
For maximum compatibility with existing practice the required base repertoire
for this will likely be some subset of UCS-2, plus ISO-6429 in full, not the
complete range. I've hopes this will be significantly more than the minimal
repertoire of C2x, but it may not as a matter of deferral to the C standard. It
should be left up to implementations still, in my opinion, how much of the
range beyond this base they want to support as extensions, including UTF16 as
an encoding. How the LC_* categories will be extended to fully support that
base repertoire according to the Unicode requirements hasn't been determined
yet either, but this is the nominal goal.

  On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 3:40 PM, Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The
Open Group<austin-group-l@opengroup.org> wrote:   Hello!

I wonder about POSIX.utf-?8, i tried to remember any statement
i had read, and Mantis did not show up results.

In particular i am interested in whether LC_CTYPE results will
bring true Unicode support or not, the reason i am asking is that
the upcoming version of my work-box GNU LibC-based (2.34) Linux
distribution will provide it like

  localedef -i POSIX -f UTF-8 $PKG/usr/lib/locale/C.UTF-8 2> /dev/null || true

and then this thing is detected as an UTF-8 locale, but causes
three test failures of the MUA i maintain because character set
conversion behaves differently.

My personal opinion was that POSIX.utf8 will bring the complete
range of Unicode characters to at least LC_CTYPE, i wonder about
LC_COLLATE, as language matching is, hm, very language specific.
The rest not (maybe LC_MESSAGES going for UTF-8 though).

Is that approximately correct?

Thanks and Ciao! from Germany,

--steffen

|Der Kragenbaer,                The moon bear,
|der holt sich munter          he cheerfully and one by one
|einen nach dem anderen runter  wa.ks himself off
|(By Robert Gernhardt)

  • Future of locale, wi... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: Future of l... shwaresyst via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: Future ... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: Fut... shwaresyst via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: Future ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: Future of l... k...@keldix.com via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: Future ... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group