On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 08:54:03AM -0600, Eric Blake via austin-group-l at The
Open Group wrote:
> >  |https://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=561

> First, I chose that wording because 'sizeof(struct
> sockaddr_un.sun_path)' doesn't compile.  You are right that 'sizeof
> NAME.sun_path' does compile, if NAME is an expression of type struct
> sockaddr_un, but the sentence becomes longer to introduce some object
> named NAME of the correct type just to get to the shorter sizeof
> expression.  However, we can make that edit if it makes sense.

Having written that, I did test that 'sizeof(((struct
sockaddr_un*)0)->sun_path)' compiles with gcc, although I'm less
certain of whether the C standard permits that (or even if that
permission has changed over time) - the expression argument to sizeof
is unevaluated, which counters the argument that you can't normally
evaluate a dereference of a NULL pointer.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266

  • [1003.1(2008... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • [1003.1... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Eric Blake via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... Eric Blake via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Olivier Certner via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
                • ... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
                • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
                • ... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
                • ... Thorsten Glaser via austin-group-l at The Open Group