Geoff Clare wrote in
 <Y4nXMYB9tFwxeYx5@localhost>:
 |Steffen Nurpmeso wrote, on 01 Dec 2022:
 |> Being here, i note an increasing number of "null terminators" for
 |> strings, which surely is wrong as NULL==(void*)0 (or similar aka
 |> 0x0, 0, __null, whatever they are doing now and have complained or
 |> even failed about (?) in the past if misused), whereas i also see
 |> NUL terminator being used in C181 (once), which surely is correct,
 |> especially given the number of NUL and NUL character anywhere.
 |> Overall it surely should be worth an entry in Definitions.
 |>
 |> "null terminator" cannot be it.
 |> I am inclined to open an issue.
 |
 |NULL and null are not the same thing.  The "null" in "null terminator"
 |is a null byte, not a null pointer.  There is a definition in XBD
 |chapter 3 for "null byte".

Ah.  I see, including references to string and null byte
termination.

 |There are over 30 uses in C181 of "null byte", some within "terminating
 |null byte" or "null byte terminator".  So "null terminator" is just
 |shorthand for those phrases.

Ok.

 |There are nine uses of "null terminator".  The one use of "NUL terminator"
 |is in getdelim() which was newly added in Issue 7.  I consider its use
 |there to have been an editorial error and for consistency it should be
 |changed to "null terminator".

I only ever used NUL myself.

 |If you open an issue, please ask for getdelim() to be changed.
 |Adding a definition of "null terminator" would also be worthwhile.

All-in-one

 https://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=1621

Thanks --- and apologies, it is a large standard that has grown
over decades, and i never "lived" in it, but only ever used some
needed parts under a custom interface encapsulation.

--steffen

|(By Robert Gernhardt)

  • [1003.1(2008... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • [1003.1... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Eric Blake via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... Eric Blake via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Olivier Certner via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
                • ... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
                • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
                • ... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
                • ... Thorsten Glaser via austin-group-l at The Open Group