On 9/4/23 3:58 AM, Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group wrote:

   | Issue 9 will have an inconsistency between the printf() function and the
   | printf utility.

Yes.   And exactly why is that a problem?

I think everyone in the teleconference just assumed that the inconsistency
is best avoided.  I don't recall living with it being discussed as an
option.

I don't agree that consistency is the primary requirement here.

However, from the feedback it seems that enough people think "the cure
is worse than the disease" on this, and we should indeed consider
living with the inconsistency as another option.

It just seems like a lot of backwards compatibility and POSIX guidance to
throw away for little gain. POSIX has included %b -- and recommended its
use -- for over 30 years. My guess is that thousands of scripts use it.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    c...@case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/

  • [Issue 8 dra... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • [Issue 8 dra... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • [Issue 8 dra... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • [Issue 8 dra... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • [Issue 8 dra... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • [Issue 8 dra... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • [Issue 8 dra... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • [Issue 8 dra... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: [Is... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Chet Ramey via austin-group-l at The Open Group