Alexandre Oliva <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
23 Feb 2000 03:37:23 -0300:

   > How do one get on the [EMAIL PROTECTED] list?

   It's not a mailing list, just an alias for whoever is the current
   maintainer of those files.

Ah.  Do you know where the ``official'' version of config.guess is
expected to be found?

   > One thought is to add an option to config.guess enabling some sort
   > of detailed mode, reporting cpu types.  What do you think, would
   > that be doable?

   Doesn't it do it already?  I mean, it says i[3456]86,
   alpha{,ev[5678]*}, sparc{,64,v9}, etc.  Just not for all systems.

We need more.  The flavour of the processor is essential for picking
the best assembly code base.  `pentium2' vs. `pentiummmx' is one
example.  AMD vs. Intel x86 is another.

--linus