On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 21:52 +1100, Paul Wankadia wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 7:47 PM, Ian Kent <ra...@themaw.net> wrote:
>
>         > It seems that autofs v5 doesn't read an indirect map into
>         the cache
>         > unless ghosting is enabled, so I'm thinking about adding a
>         map option
>         > to force the read. Has the file map reloading logic changed
>         > significantly since autofs v4?
>

>         It's a bit hard to give a good answer to that as there have
>         been so many
>         changes but, having said that, it shouldn't have changed much
>         except for
>         the obvious one that it tries not to read the entire map
>         unless it has
>         to. Adding the "--ghost" or "browse" option will cause it to
>         read the
>         entire map. Also, the internal default, which is "browse"
>         enabled by
>         default, is overridden by the default installed configuration
>         with
>         BROWSE_MODE="no" so v5 behaves the same as v4.
>
> Sorry, I meant the logic that reloads the file map if it's been
> modified. I know that autofs v4 checked the mtime, but I can't see
> where autofs v5 does that.

Yeah, I didn't think I got rid of that.

But the check for a mismatch between the cache and a file key lookup
should be sufficient to only cause a read when the map has actually
changed. I guess we could get multiple HUP signals, one following just
after the other has finished, but that would be a system admin error and
you'd probably want to know about that since we can't make a similar
check some other map sources. I probably should get around to removing
the mtime stuff all-together, perhaps you could let me know if things
work as they should (or not) so I can clean (or fix) that up.

Ian