Hello,

I've created a construction which mounts local devices like USB sticks
and remote (network) services in a connectionsmap in the users
homedirectory.

Integration with my desktop  (KDE 4.2) is not that good. When in
Dolphin, it tries to mount the devices at /media, not in this autofs
managed directory (in my case /home/sbon/Connections/Devices).
Responsible for this behaviour in KDE is HAL.

Integration of autofs and hal is imho a good idea. It should be an
configurationoption to let the automounter handle the mounting, or do it
the way things are done at this moment (by HAL).

Required is that autofs has dbus support. I do not have a lot of
experience with dbus, but other systems should be able to add a
mountpoint (with all options and the path to the local device), and
autofs should export information about all mountpoints it manages, and
which devices are mounted or not.

What's your opinion, is this possible?

Stef Bon