I have been using for a very long time a setup where /home is an autofs
from a plain indirect NIS map, but my personal home directory
(/home/hpa) is simply a bind mount from /export/home/hpa.  A
straightforward use of autofs.

I just rebooted my system yesterday, however, and found that all the
directory entries in my home directory had gotten replaced with ghost
directories -- and even more confusingly, the date wasn't the current
date, but was back in 2008.

The ghost directories were "sterile" in the sense that entering them
wouldn't show the proper contents of those directories.  As a result,
massive failure.

After suspecting filesystem corruption, and this, that and the other
thing, I found that this was only when viewing though autofs
(/home/hpa), and that the real filesystem (/export/home/hpa) was fully
intact.  Somehow autofs had ended up ghosting pretty much my entire
directory, and doing so in some incorrect fashion.

Replacing /home with a plain bind mount (no autofs) to /export/home
resolved the issue.

        -hpa