Find here attached a revised proposed patch.

Ok on the reorg, but sorry, I remain confused. This whole thing started
with Mike Vapier's change in Feb 2022 (commit 720a11531):
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake-commit/2022-02/msg00009.html

As I read it now, his goal was to speed up other projects, not Automake,
by reducing the "sleep 1" to "sleep <mtime_resolution>" in
AM_SANITY_CHECK, via AC_CONFIG_COMMANDS_PRE, i.e., before creating
config.status.

But that is only one instance of generating files. I must be missing
something obvious. There are zillions of generated files in the
world. For instance, why aren't there problems when a small C file is
created and compiled? That could easily take less than 1 second, if that
is the mtime resolution.

I understand that equal timestamps are considered up to date, and
presumably the .c and .o (say) would be equal in such a case. Ok, but
then why is configure generating config.status/etc. such a special case
that it requires the sleep, and nothing else? I mean, I know the sleep
is needed; I've experienced the problems without that sleep myself. But
I don't understand why it's the only place (in normal compilations;
forget the Automake test suite specifically) that needs it.

Can someone please educate me as to what is really going on underneath
all this endless agonizing tweaking of the mtime tests? Sorry for my
stupidity. --thanks, karl.