> if there are open source cube files for common molecules?

I echo the suggestion of NWChem. OpenMOPAC is also available free to academic
users, which I believe applies to high school teachers. (http://openmopac.net/)

As for the "common molecules" question. I've been thinking hard about this
exact problem for some time. Let's just say the biggest problem is generating a
list of common molecules. If people would like to suggest how to come up with
say 100 or 1,000 or 10,000 molecules for teaching use .. I think the University
of Pittsburgh will gladly donate the CPU time using MOPAC and/or NWChem.

So my big question (to the community).. how do we generate such a list and/or
take genuine requests?

Cheers,
-Geoff

---