Yes, I found the bug - a recently installed (I wanted to give it a try)
toolchain from here:
Fast Cross-Platform App Development Software - Embarcadero
<https://www.embarcadero.com/>
It had written its own path variables with the path to its own make.

I had uninstalled it later, but it did not delete the path entries.
after deleting them manually, problem solved1

Thank you !!

--
Best Regards,

-- Royce Pereira