Makc, if you don't feel like the Away3D team care about our users (the
programmers) then that's unfortunate. We do very much care about the
programmers and the products that they create using our engine, which
is why we want to encourage good practice. If your artists are
incapable of resizing textures then maybe you can do it for them?
Write a script that does it, the programmer way. I don't see why (and
I'm sure your product owner agrees) users should have to download
textures that are often too big just to then have their CPU scale them
down. Store and deploy them with the right size, which will decrease
both loading and initialization time.

As far as the video material is concerned, that entire system in
broomstick is a contribution that has not yet gone through proper
review (as is often the case in an open-source project's alpha cycle)
but chances are we will keep some sort of dimensions check there since
in that particular material the engine is creating the bitmap and
hence there is no way for the programmer to control it. In a bitmap
material the bitmap is an external file and you have the option to
resize it.

Know though that your feature request (or whatever you meant for it to
be) has been noted and we will consider adding some sort of automatic
resizing, although as previously stated it will most likely be turned
off by default.

Cheers
/R