@makc:
I have considered that, and that's the main reason why a plug-in
system like the one I have explained (but which would be disabled by
default) is being considered. If for now you need to do this, then
load your textures manually, resize them and map the texture URLs to
bytearrays containing the resized images.

Cheers
/R