Hey do rinal

layering is something that is very important in the 3.6 engine, but as
richard says, not quite such an issue in 4.0 where teh GPU z-buffer handle
all sorting duties on a per-pixel approach.

Of course, there are still use cases where layering might be useful (the one
i can think of is where you want to apply displaylist effects such as
filters and transparency to a single foreground 3d object) but these need to
be entirely rethought in terms of the GPU layer. while is it possible to
render layers such as these, the GPU hates drawing to anything other than a
stage3d layer, which by definition is an immoveable layer at the back of all
displaylist content. It is possible to render the output of the GPU to a
bitmapdata object, but there is a significant performance hit associated
with this method which relegatesthis approach to the exception rather than
the rule

If you can think of a scenario where you would want to use layers in a 3d
scene, please let us know! This will help identify the best approach for
implementing layers in a future update, or if it is even needed at all

cheers

Rob

--
Rob Bateman