Hi,

On 07.10.2012 22:14, Stefano Di Martino wrote:
[...]
> Surely it would be easy for you to support some basic features,
> like shutdown and hibernate the computer.
> I've found an extension that do this, but it isn't working well. For
> example, if I want to shut down my computer, I have to enter my password
> and in the end the computer hangs up trying to shutting down the computer.

Welcome to Unix where only the administrator is allowed to shut down a computer.
If you know some way for normal users to shut down the computer that works on
most systems, I'd be happy to add it to the default config.

There might be something like this hiding on dbus with PolicyKit + magic, but I
don't know how that works. Also, that solution would hardly be portable to most
systems.

On how kde and gnome manage to do this:
Those are desktop environments. They have their own login manager (kdm / gdm)
and login managers obviously must run as root and thus have the "power" to turn
of the computer. There is some private (undocumented?) protocol between the
session and the display manager which allows turning off the computer. At least
I think so.

I bet that gnome/kde don't offer a shutdown button when they are run through
startx instead of a login manager.

Cheers,
Uli

P.S.: No, I will not write a login manager.
--
my $key = "\x49\x03\x93\x08\x19\x94\x96\x94\x28\x93\x83\x04\x68\x28\xa8\xf5".
          "\x0a\xb9\x94\x02\x45\x81\x93\x1f\xbc\xd7\xf3\xad\x93\xf5\x32\x93";