On Mon, Oct 08, 2012 at 03:50:31PM +0200, Uli Schlachter wrote:
> I bet that gnome/kde don't offer a shutdown button when they are run through
> startx instead of a login manager.

Certainly gnome doesn't do well if the login manager isn't gdm or lightdm.

> P.S.: No, I will not write a login manager.

Good plan.

---

For those that care, I use gdm and a .xsession which runs gnome-session with a
customised gnome session which forgoes nautilus and the shell etc, in favour of
AwesomeWM.  The result is something with network manager, gnome's GTK+
configuration, etc., but an window manager which doesn't make me want to bite
the heads off babies.

I blogged about it here:  http://blog.digital-scurf.org/tech/awesome-gnome

You may (or may not) like the approach :-)

D.

--
Daniel Silverstone                         http://www.digital-scurf.org/
PGP mail accepted and encouraged.            Key Id: 3CCE BABE 206C 3B69