Hi,

tanks for your answer.

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 15:19:05 +0200
Tomas Kramar <kramar.to...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2009/9/14 Harald Braumann <ha...@unheit.net>:
> > For each tag there should be two layouts to switch between:
> > - the main layout: similar to the `tiled' layout, but only the
> > master area should be visible. No additional columns.
>
> You can use the 'max' layout which does exactly that.

That would only show one window, but I want to see more than one.

> > - the overview layout: should show all windows that belong to the
> > current tag. Windows in this layout should be selectable but should
> > never receive the focus, keyboard or mouse input.
>
> You can use 'fair' layout. I'm not sure how do you want to select the
> window without giving it focus, but for starters, you can disable
> sloppy focus.

Yes, I was thinking about the `fair' layout.

> > The following use-cases should be supported:
> > - map new window: when a new window is mapped, the number of tiles
> > in the main layout automatically increases and the new window is
> > added.
> > - remove window: the currently selected window is removed from
> > the main layout and the number of tiles automatically decreased.
>
> All of this happens automatically.

Not for map new window, because in this case windows are moved to the
side column (at least for `tiled' layout).

> > - replace window: switch to the overview layout and select a window
> > which then replaces the window that was selected in the main layout
>
> You can define two layouts to be used -- max and fair -- comment out
> everything else. Then switch the layouts using mod4+space. This way
> you can press mod4+space to switch to fair layout (that would be your
> overview layout), then focus the window you want to maximize and hit
> mod4+space again, which would switch you to max layout with the
> focused window on top of the stack.

That's not exactly how I envision it to work. First, I don't want to
use the max layout, because I'd like to be able to have multiple
windows on the screen. Second, the layout should be switched
automatically when a window is selected in the overview layout.

> > - add window: switch to the overview layout and select a window
> > which is then added as a new tile to the main layout.
>
> I'm not sure what is the difference between this and the previous use
> case. You don't have to switch layout to open new windows.

None, for the max layout, you proposed. But for the tiled layout I have
to increase the number of tiles in the master area if a window is added.

I think I just go ahead and try it out, as long as no one tells me that
the way I thought of is complete bollocks.

Cheers,
harry