Hi,

    > - What's the difference with xcompmgr?  (i haven't used either)

 * xcompmgr  is  based  on  a  monolithic  architecture,  whereas  Unagi
   architecture is split  up in three parts: core,  rendering and visual
   effects.

   From  an end-user  POV, it  allows  to easily  add customized  visual
   effects plugins and rendering backend.

   From a developer POV, it  makes maintenance easier and allows to work
   separately  on different components  without understanding  the whole
   code.

   Further  information  can  be  found  in  section  "Introduction  and
   Rationale", 3.1 and 4.1 of [0].

 * xcompmgr uses Xlib whereas Unagi uses XCB which should provide better
   performance (even though this is  far from being opitmized now) among
   other things. You can find further information in section 1.2 of this
   document[0].

 * xcompmgr has been  written more as a proof-of-concept  than a useable
   software.

    > - does  this make it possible to implement a  clone view where you
    >  see the  same window(s)  on 2  screens (of  potentially different
    > sizes), or do you need a compositing WM for that?

I'm not sure whether  you are talking of a clone of  the desktop you are
currently  in, which  could  be  achieved through  xrandr,  or just  for
specific windows? I'm not sure either why you would want to do that? ;)

Cheers,
Arnaud

[0] http://projects.mini-dweeb.org/attachments/3/report.pdf