I'm trying to find information regarding writing my own custom layout for
awesome.  Instead of the ones that come with it, I want one where my screen
is split into columns, and if you assign multiple windows to the same
column, they'll just stack.

I've tried reading through the source code for the built-in layouts, but
it's hard to tell what's going on (a combination of few comments and Lua
being dynamically typed).  The API documentation is also quite scant in this
regard.

Are there any resources available to help me write my own custom layout for
awesome?  Do you have any hints as to where to start?  I'd also be grateful
for any nice examples of others' custom layouts, so I can see how they work
(as far as I can tell from reading the source code, I need to call
client:geometry(new_geometry), but I'm not sure if I need to do anything
else, or exactly what the parameters to "arrange" are).

Thanks in advance.