W dniu 26 marca 2012 20:44 użytkownik Vladimir Todorov
<inspell...@gmail.com> napisał:
> Anyone knows how I can change the width of the scrollbars? I searched the
> rc.lua file and the theme.lua file but I didn't find anything. I also tried
> google again without success.
> I want to decrease the width. I use gnome at the office and I do this with a
> program called gnome-color-chooser - but I guess it is gnome specific. I am
> pretty sure I could do it in awesome too but I don't know how - I am new to
> this wm, anyway it is awesome ; )

Hello Vladimir,

I am not sure if I have understood you correctly, but as awesome
itself does not use
scrollbars anywhere, then I suspect that you are talking about scrollbars in
applications, yes?

If this assumption is correct, then you should know that the look of
an application is
not influenced by window manager (which - as the name suggests - just manages
windows :)).

Going further - the look of an application can take source in many places.
There are applications that have own options to configure themselves
(rxvt-unicode
comes to my mind immediately as an example).
There are also applications that inherit their look from the widget
toolkit they use.
Two probably most known ones are GTK+ and QT.

Now we can take GTK+ as an example. There are many applications that use this
toolkit - as I look to my currently opened programs I can see
claws-mail, gimp and
geeqie - they are all GTK+ apps.
The look of all these applications depend of currently used GTK theme.
A theme is
a set of files that define or example color, icons and - what you are
looking for - the
width of a scrollbar.

So, going back to your case - albeit you cannot set the width of a
scrollbar directly,
you can set a theme used by all GTK+ applications - and you can choose a theme
which has thin scrollbars if you like them.

A nice theme switcher that I use is gtk-chtheme. You can use another
one, just search
for GTK theme chooser.

Still keep in mind, that applications that do not use GTK+ toolkit
will look differently.
You will need to choose a theme for QT applications separately, and so on.

The reason why you have to use external program do to such things comes from a
fundamental difference between window manager and desktop environment.

Gnome, which you use at work, is a desktop environment - something
bigger than a
window manager. It incorporates window manager, but also provides many
other tools
like system monitor, battery widget and many others - among them is a
theme switcher.
It also probably has many themes preinstalled.

awesome is a window manager - a rich one, because it provides some
functionality
of DE (like clock, systray, or some monitoring widgets) - but
basically it just manages
windows, so you need to install separate programs to do other things you like.
It also does not provide any themes by default, so you would probably
need to install
them before you will be able to choose one :)

I hope that the thing is clear enough now :)

best regards,
Paweł