Hi,

Oh, I guess that this was just a noobish question then... ; )
Actually I make difference between a DE and a WM but I don't know why I
decided that the WM takes responsibility of drawing the scrollbar...
Thank you very much for clarifying this to me.

I tried to change the width of the scrollbars with gnome-color-chooser
though a minute ago and it did the trick - actually as you suggested it
changed the width of the scrollbars only for some applications - it works
for eclipse and mozilla ff but it doesn't work for chrome ; ). Actually
eclipse was my primary goal because I work on my 14'' laptop now and I
really hated the big scrollbars in eclipse - they take so much space that I
cannot see the code. Besides eclipse takes whole lot of space with useless
splitters etc.. But now it is better with smaller scrollbars especially in
debug mode (it is fine when I am not in debug mode because I do not need
the stack trace and the watch window neither the package explorer so I keep
only the Editor window opened and maximized). Now another thing that comes
to my mind is how can I find out which toolkit an application is using. I
changed the scrollbars of one toolkit but which one? I know that some
applications can draw their own scrollbars but if this is not the case I
would like to change it where possible. Thanks once again, your response
was very helpful.

Regards,
Vladimir