>From what I take it, I need to create a wibox.layout, define custom
margins and stick my widget in it?

I'm new to lua and awesome so I'm again lost at what to do...
I did give it my best shot though:

local membar_wibar = wibox.layout.flex.horizontal()
wibox.layout.margin.set_margins(membar_wibar, 5)
membar_wibar:add(memwidget)
local layout = wibox.layout.align.horizontal()
layout:set_right(membar_wibar)

mywibox[s]:set_widget(layout)

I see my widget, but the margins don't seem to take effect.

Also, where would I put the new line of code for the gradient colors?
I don't know what I'm supposed to call anyone.

I appreciate all the help.
Hong pak