I added the Obvious basic_mpd widget to my setup. While I can see the
text, the widget never updates to reflect the status of the actual mpd
daemon. I run mpd on a non-standard port (to keep my personal
account's instance from conflicting with the system-wide default) and
so I suspect this is at the root of my problems even though the
environment variable MPD_PORT is set in my .zshrc. I tried changing
the port in the lib/mpd/init.lua file to default to my non-standard
choice (6700 instead of 6600) and I tried various lines in the rc.lua
intended to manually changing it (either by creating a new mpd
connection and attempting to assign it or by attempting to manipulate
the port directly), however all I ever see is "Music Off".

To compound the problem, I cannot find that there is an easy way to
run diagnostics. There does not seem to be anything in
.xsession-errors. There is no naughty notification when there is an
error and I got odd Lua errors when I tried to add a notification.

So, I guess my question is does anyone else have any experience
getting the Obvious mpd interface working (and I also wanted to add
keybindings, which is why I wanted to get the Obvious widget working
instead of slapping together my own) or debugging these connection
problems?

Thanks,

Michael