On 6/17/2012 6:19 PM, Uli Schlachter wrote:
On 17.06.2012 18:06, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Uli Schlachter <psyc...@znc.in> wrote:
On 17.06.2012 12:31, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
[...]
Some of the dependencies of the lgi code cannot be met at all on my aging
Ubuntu installation.
[...]

/etc/lsb-release says:
"Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS"

Hm. Wikipedia says Ubuntu 10.04 is supported until 2013-04. That's still quite a
while. Sounds like we shouldn't release 3.5 before then. ;-)

Awesome already used Pango before and Pango used gobject before. The only new
dependency (besides lgi) should be on gobject-introspection. Version 0.10.8 was
releases in May 2011. That's a little more recent than I had thought. However, I
have no good idea what could be done about this.

I don't know what's new in gobject-introspection 0.10.8 and thus can't say why
older versions don't work.

Sounds like someone (I?) should write a mail to lgi upstream and ask for
details...

No need to, upstream is here and listening :-)

Ubuntu Lucid supports only 0.6 series of gobject-introspection. Thats pretty bad, because so many bugfixes, many useful API additionas and even a few API/ABI changes were done since then. Current lgi code basically depends on gobject-introspection>=1.30, with hacks added here and there to support goi>=0.10 version. I was hoping to nuke those hacks in the next release, but it looks that I'll have to keep them.

As for supporting 0.6.x series; almost definitely impossible with current lgi sourcebase. I'm having my small personal summer of code project, rewriting a lot of lgi internals, and (for unrelated reasons) it should lessen the dependency on exact version of gobject-introspection, so that 0.6.x could be usable (with some additional effort). But don't hold your breath, it might take a few months before I get it into the releasable shape.

As Uli said above, installing newer gobject-introspection into the $HOME will probably not work, I'm afraid that .typelib files (coming from other packages) will not be compatible with it. The only solution would be to build locally (into your $HOME) the Gnome stack parts up to pango (which would also include gobject-introspection). Gnome's jhbuild[0] makes this quite a painless experience (at least for me it was).

sorry for not so good news,
Pavel

[0] http://developer.gnome.org/jhbuild/unstable