Shifty had some nice fine tuning to it that I miss, however for the most part, I achieve the same results with the normal config, by doing something like this,
I have some functions to handle tag creation/rename/deletion in my rc

function add_tag(args)
    local screen = args.screen or mouse.screen or 1
    local text   = args.name or "Aux"
    return awful.tag.add(text,{})
end

function rename_tag(tag)
    if tag then t=tag else t=awful.tag.selected(mouse.screen) end
    awful.prompt.run(
        {prompt='rename:'}, -- args
        shared.promptbox.widget, --widget (you'd need change this)
        function(name) t.name=name end, --exe callback
        nil, --completion callback
        awful.util.getdir("cache").."/history_eval" --history path
    )
end

--[[[
    Search if tag already exist, return tag or new tag
    @args a table of arguments
    @args.name The tag we want
]]--
function move_to_tag(args)
    if not args then return end
    if not args.name then return end
      for i,t in ipairs(awful.tag.gettags(mouse.screen)) do
        if t.name==args.name then
            return t
            end
        end
    return add_tag({name=args.name})
end

function delete_tag(args)
    awful.tag.delete()
end

In my rules, i have a few programs i like on separate tags:

{ rule={ class="Icedove",instance="Mail"}, properties={tag = function() return move_to_tag({name='email'}) end} }, { rule={ class="Iceweasel",instance="Navigator"}, properties={tag = function() return add_tag({name='www'}) end} },
    { rule={ name="xbill"}, properties={tag = function()
        return move_to_tag({name='xbill'}) end} },
{ rule={ class="emulator-arm",instance="emulator-arm"}, properties={tag = function() return move_to_tag({name='and-emu'}) end} },

I have some key bindings for tags like this:

    awful.key({ config.modkey,       },"n",function() add_tag({}) end),
    awful.key({ config.modkey,       },"d",function() delete_tag({}) end),
    awful.key({ config.modkey,"Shift"},"n",function() rename_tag() end),

While it's not as nice as shifty was when it was working, it basically does everything i needed it to.