Hello,

You can wrap the progressbar inside wibox.layout.margin which will give
you a nice margin. Honestly I never read the API documentation an I'm
just guessing how things work. Would be nice if someone could tell why
the height property in progressbar has no effect. Maybe it has something
to do with the layout? I don't know.

However here's the code that works for me:

local volumebar = awful.widget.progressbar()
volumebar:set_background_color(beautiful.bg_focus)
volumebar:set_color(beautiful.fg_focus)
volumebar:set_ticks(true)
volumebar:set_ticks_size(5)
volumebar:set_width(59)

-- item, left, right, top, bottom? can't find the constructor in the API
documentation so I'm just guessing..
local widget = wibox.layout.margin(volumebar, 5, 5, 6, 6)

/ Eero