I tried adding that code right after the local naughty = require("naughty")
that was already there, but it didn't work and actually stopped any
notifications from showing on any monitor.

I doubt it was the cause, but some other functions in my rc.lua also use
local i as a counter;  these shouldn't interfere with each other as long as
they are inside their own functions, right?

Thanks,
Abe