The test should verify this also.
I assume it should be reverted and updated to:
252 if (cause == null)
253 throw new IllegalArgumentException("null cause");
Please review the updated webrev
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ssadetsky/8080395/webrev.02/

is possible to write a test fox this missed check?
What about a sentence in:
********
228      * <p> This method throws an
229      * {@code IllegalArgumentException} if {@code source}
230      * is {@code null}.
********
250     public FocusEvent(Component source, int id, boolean temporary,
251                       Component opposite, Cause cause) {
********
Should we mention cause and IAE as well in the javadoc?

Since you update the serialVersionUID then the comment is not valid
anymore: "JDK 1.1 serialVersionUID".

Also I have requested an additional clarification from the core libs
team to confirm that we have an ability to change serialVersionUID in
the major release.
Please decide finally you do need a new serialVersionUID or you don't
need it. Generally, adding a field is a compatible change FocusEvent
will be able to read the previous format. It is matter of
opinion/convention only.

In this case the cause field will contain unspecified null value.
I guess we will need to file a new ccc request.