On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 02:30:47 GMT, Sergey Bylokhov <s...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Phil Race has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
>> commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   8257853: Remove dependencies on JNF's JNI utility functions in AWT and 2D
>> code
>
> src/java.desktop/macosx/native/libosxapp/JNIUtilities.h line 120:
>
>> 118:      } \
>> 119:      LOG_NULL(dst_var, name); \
>> 120:      CHECK_NULL(dst_var);
>
> If some of these macros will be used on appkit thread, then the check like
> "CHECK_NULL" will not work,  because the code will never return to the java,
> and the failure will be actually ignored.

If we get NULL back then there's a progamming bug. LOG_NULL will show it.
CHECK_NULL is just as much to satisfy JNI as anything.
If we are on a Java thread then it will still add some value so I don't see the
point in removing it.
Nor do I think I'd like to use NSException instead because that affects the
flow of control.
Yes, this may be different than before (probably more relevant to the other
comment) but I think better may be a better approach overall. If we ever see an
issue here that is likely to occur due to anything other than a bad internal
inconsistency due to JDK changes then I would prefer to follow the code path
and fix it up.