On Mon, 8 Feb 2021 17:15:25 GMT, Gerard Ziemski <gziem...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> General comment - I am not sure I like the `MTL` prefix acronym in names (ex.
> `sun.java2d.metal.MTLVolatileSurfaceManager`).
>
> I think you tried to match the `CGL`, but that is a real acronym that stands
> for "Core Graphics Layer" (I think).
>
> `MTL` on the other hand is no acronym. I can see `ML` for "Metal Layer" I
> suppose, but also just `Metal` would work just fine.

`MTL` is the abbreviation that Apple uses for Metal in all of their APIs. The
only potential issue I might see with this prefix is in the native code where
there could be name collisions between Java2D's names and Apple's names. Since
we haven't run into such a collision, I don't think this needs to change, and
wouldn't necessarily affect the Java class names anyway. If we were to consider
it, `METAL` seems better than `ML` (which is too short to be descriptive and
might suggest machine learning).