Vaibhav,

Thanks for the extensive Tool kit Information.

Sincerely,

Bob Brinker

Bob Brinker
Oakdene Group, Inc.
2625 Butterfield Rd. (Suite 212E)
Oak Brook, IL 60523-1261
(630)368-1046 x/230
(630)368-1050 (Fax)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

----- Forwarded by Bob Brinker/OGIDM on 09/17/2004 11:01 AM -----
vaibhav pednekar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

09/17/2004 10:09 AM
Please respond to Axapta-Knowledge-Village

        To:        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Fw: [Axapta-Knowledge-Village] Axapta Implementation Methodology

Dear bob & Sonia

Microsoft has the same toolkit which Navision used to
provide, now only they changed the look and feel.

The toolkit requires a license and runs only on
Navision, so truly speaking it is not Axapta Toolkit,
but Navision Toolkit.

But the Methodology is same , i mean the steps
involved in it like -

1. Evaluate
2. Plan
3. Build
4. Deploy
5. Operate

1. Evaluate - consists of following steps
     a. Project Initializations
     b. Infrastructure analysis
     c. Pre-analysis -
Steps in Pre-analysis

Project Manager

Prepare Pre-analysis Proposal
Create a winning Pre-analysis proposal.

Present Pre-analysis Proposal
Deliver the Pre-analysis presentation to the prospect
in order to explain the process involved in the
pre-analysis, the benefits and the deliverables that
result.

Confirm venue, resources and timing
Proposal has been accepted by customer and practical
arrangements have been made.

Organize and confirm internal resources
Upon an accepted Pre-analysis proposal, it is
necessary to ensure sufficient availability of Partner
resources for the project.

Formal handover to Product Consultant
Ensure that knowledge is transferred from salesperson
to Product Consultant as effectively as possible.

Product Consultant

Collect Pre-Analysis Data
Prepare as much as possible before running the
Pre-analysis workshops.

Prepare for Pre-analysis Workshops
Prepare diagrams, etc. in order not to take too much
time out of the workshops.

Conduct Pre-analysis Tools & Tech. Training

Teach the customer workshop participants the process
of the Pre-analysis.

Create Departmental Diagram
Understand the company’s departmental structure and
different departments’ responsibilities.

Create Pre-analysis Report
Prepare and present the Pre-analysis report.

Application Team

Identify All Use Cases
Create a list of the customer’s use cases, or business
processes. Ensure that when this activity has been
completed that consensus has been established on how
business processes in the company are actually
performed.

Identify Business Critical Processes
Identify at least 2-3 major Business Critical
Processes for further analysis.

Setup Application for Gap/Fit Analysis
Prepare the system for running the Gap/Fit Analysis.

Conduct Gap/Fit Analysis
Document the gaps between the required functionality
and the standard systems capability as well as the
gaps between current business processes and new,
optimized processes.

Identify General Key Requirements
Derive key requirements to the system implementation
from the identified system and business objectives.

Technical Consultant

Create Physical Diagram
Create a graphical representation of the organization
and the entities that it interacts with.

Create Hardware Diagram
The purpose of creating a hardware diagram is to
establish an overview of the customers current
hardware situation.

Create Software Diagram
List the existing software elements that the company
uses.

Project Management Team

Define Project Scope
Establish consensus of what is included and what is
excluded from the project.

Create Project Implementation Proposal
Prepare and present and ‘winning’ proposal using the
information obtained in the throughout the
Pre-analysis process.

Present Project Implementation Proposal
-----End of Preanalysis------------------

2. Plan -
Purpose
Educate the customer on the key design decisions that
must be made, gather relevant information that
applies, and guide them to making decisions where it
is safe to do so.

Identify key areas of risk that require further follow
up. Provide customer with an estimate of the cost of
the proposed solution and resolve key design issues.
At the end of this session customer should have a
clear idea of the solution that will be delivered and
the key project milestones.

To plan the first activities for the Implementation
project.
To schedule Partner and customer resources.
To organize training of customer resources.
Information gathered from this service will be used to
define the key project deliverables and estimate the
cost of the proposed solution. Consultants should be
provided with tools to assist them with determining
and creating a high level list of deliverables and key
milestones. Best practices patterns and tools for
building the proposed solution and the basis for
estimating work.

Project planning at this stage includes setting
timeframes and resources on the various analysis phase
activities. Furthermore, the information that must be
accumulated in the Project Charter is defined and the
information collated. This information includes among
other things client company background, project plan,
project organization, project risks, implementation
strategies, change control procedure, testing
procedure and sign off procedure.

The Project Charter should also describe the project
deliverables of each project phase. The project
charter is a living document. This means, that as the
project progresses, and more information regarding
issues, strategies, risks etc. is available, this can
be communicated to the project team by adding it to
the project charter.

Resources have to be scheduled to set up the client
environment and to conduct some initial training on
the base application. The sooner the training takes
place, the earlier the client is involved in the
process and understands the processes of
Implementation. This encourages and fosters the idea
of “Project ownership”.

Some of the information for the project charter can be
collected from the previously completed documents
(Pre-analysis report and Systems proposal).

Steps in Plan Overview

Analysis
The Plan phase contains a collection of activities
necessary to state in a precise and complete way what
business processes the proposed system must support,
and what system customizations, interfaces and data
conversions are required.

Solution Design
The purpose of the Design phase is to obtain detailed
descriptions of system modifications as defined in the
Functional Requirements Document, future business
processes as defined in the gap-fit worksheet,
interfaces connecting to the system as defined in the
gap-fit worksheet and converted data as defined in the
gap-fit worksheet.
--------End of Plan------------------------------

3. Build
The purpose of the development and testing phase is to
set up the Customer and Partner development
environments, collect enterprise data, do the
development work required for the project and finally,
perform the testing activities.

In this sense, this phase realizes the system designed
in the previous phase.

In this phase of the implementation project, a large
part of the work is done away from the Customer site
and therefore communication is the key factor in
contributing to the success of Customer acceptance of
the new system. The project manager has the
responsibility of ensuring that the Customer is aware
of all the activities that are being performed during
this period, and plan for information to be delivered
to the Customer at various milestones within the
phase.

One of the outputs of the design phase is the build
plan. It is up to the development manager to divide
the required development work into manageable parts of
work. These parts of work are called “builds”. By
dividing the work into builds, the project manager can
achieve a number of objectives:

The difficult or more complex pieces of work can be
completed early in the process. By doing this, the
project manager will be able to identify any areas of
concern that may have an impact on project success.
It also gives the project manager a milestone to
report to the Customer as to the progress of the
development work. A measurement such as “milestones
complete” can be communicated on a regular basis. This
provides continuous information to the Customer at a
time where typically, there isn’t a lot of Customer
interaction (this also provides leverage to the
Partner for any work invoiced). This encourages
frequent Customer participation and sign-off
Builds also allow for testing to be structured and
managed efficiently. It devides the development
process so that the Customer receives something
throughout the process, and feedback can be received.
It is a structured framework for dividing work among
multiple Development Consultants. The Customer
receives the code not solely at the end of the entire
activity, but in parts. This provides for Customer
buy-in and acceptance of the new system early and also
allows the project manager to gauge the initial
reactions, as it will be the first time where they
will see their concepts realized.
The development and test phase is the phase where
control over requirements is critical. Because it is
the first time that the Customer has seen their
“vision” realized, it is most likely that they will be
excited about it and as a result want more, or,
something different from that originally defined.
Expectation management is crucial.

The test process is key to ensuring the quality of the
system being delivered. Planning the tests must begin
as early as possible. Involve user groups as much as
possible in preparing the test criteria. It is crucial
that the Customer is the one actually conducting the
test.

The project manager must control any changes to the
project and evaluate to what extent changes at this
stage of the implementation process will affect time,
budget and scope.

In practice, this is the area that requires the most
attention. There is a large component of documentation
and testing that consumes great quantities of both
time and resources, and Customer s are often inclined
to make the shortcut of not conducting the system test
properly. As a rule of thumb, too little time spent on
planning, preparing and conducting the tests means a
higher risk of software incidents. The result of such
a situation could be the Partner not meeting Customer
expectations.

The development process is an iterative process. It is
normal for the testing to reveal errors and
inconsistencies, and as long as these are controlled
and handled in a structured manner, it is unlikely to
jeopardize a successful project.

Each build will go through the process of a unit build
test, followed by a Partner build test and a Customer
build test. Once the Customer approves the build, it
will be implemented into the production system, the
Partner development and testing environment is updated
with the Build and the process continues until all the
builds have been tested. Then the final production
system is ready for the system test.

Quite often functional requirements will change with
respect to the original scope. As the Customer
visualizes the solution being implemented, there is a
tendency or temptation on behalf of the Product
Consultant or Development Consultant and Customer to
throw in some ad-hoc customizations. These must be
kept under control using the various tools that are
put in place (e.g. SIR, SCR) to address change
management. For each change suggested or each
requirement added, an analysis of the impact on scope,
time and cost must be made. The project manager can
perform “what if” scenarios on the project management
tools they currently use.

Key success criteria for the development and test
phase are:

Deliver key functionality first
Address least understood areas early
Reduce the risk of late delivery
Reduce the risk of non-acceptance
Reduce risk of integration failure
Minimize feature/scope creep
Careful change management.
Steps in Build Overview

Software Design
To create design specifications for customizations,
interfaces and data migration.

Software Builds and Test
Once the Customer approves the build, it will be
implemented into the production system, the Partner
development and testing environment is updated with
the Build and the process continues until all the
builds have been tested.

System Test
Ensuring the builds are consistent and of the highest
quality possible.
-----------------End of Build-------------------------

4. Deploy
The Deployment Phase marks the end of the
implementation process. The new system has been
analyzed, designed, developed and tested. Scope has
probably changed somewhat, errors have been found and
issues resolved. Various pieces of documentation have
been produced throughout the process as a normal part
of the implementation, and the remaining end-user
training is taking place. The infrastructure is in
place, the data has been converted and everything is
set to go, but in order to launch the system, the
project team needs approval from the steering
committee in the acceptance walkthrough. A meeting is
arranged whereby the implementer and the Partner and
Customer project managers walk the steering committee
through the project deliverables. Also, the critical
success criteria for the project are revisited.

There will be occasions where implementations will go
live without having met all acceptance criteria. This
is normally the case when there are external
circumstances that affect the project. E.g. the
financial accounts have to be run on the new system at
the start of the calendar year. This means that the
system must go live on Jan 1st regardless of whether
or not all the acceptance criteria are met. It is
highly likely that most of the criteria would have
been met but the remainder will be met soon after go
live.

The implementer prepares for the acceptance
walkthrough meeting by checking that all project
deliverables are in place, and that the acceptance
criteria have been met. Once the steering committee is
satisfied that this is the case, they must approve the
delivery, and the system can be prepared for going
live. Transactions and balances are imported into the
system, all configuration checklists have been crossed
off, users trained and the system goes live.

Throughout this phase software change requests (SCR’s)
and system incident reports (SIR’s) are monitored and
processed as always. Any training of end users is also
conducted during this time.

Steps in Deploy Overview

Prepare Production System
Prepare all resources, infrastructure, data etc. so
the production system can be set up.

Acceptance Walkthrough
The acceptance walkthrough marks the end of the
project and the Customer’s acceptance of the
deliverables.

Go Live
Initiate the daily operations using the new system.
-----------End of Deploy---------------------------

5. Operate -
The activities in this phase are related to the
maintenance and support of the new system and
monitoring the client’s future needs due to growth and
business developments. Activities include entering
into maintenance agreements with the Customer for
technical software maintenance/upgrades and support in
training, consultancy software support and monitoring
errors and enhancements for future business
opportunities.

Steps in On-going Support

Project Management Team

Prepare and Present Support & Maintenance Agreement
Sell a support and maintenance agreement to the
Customer.

Monitoring SCR’s and SIR’s
Monitor and analyze SCR’s (software change requests)
and SIR’s (software incident reports).

Qualification of Need and Pre-analysis Proposal
Identify a need from the completed SIR’s, SCR’s and
internal support system, qualify that need and prepare
a Pre-analysis proposal for the Customer.

Its huge one cannot copy and paste all sorry people.

i hope this helps you

thank you
regards
vaibhav pednekar