Rick if you’re going further down this path, this code sample might give you hand. It first searches the inventTable for the ItemID first, and if not found it searches the external Item table.

-Preston

inventTable getInventRec(externalItemID _itemID, custAccount _acct)

{  //Get the inventory record for the externalItemID

    inventTable     inventTable;

    select firstonly inventTable

        where inventTable.ItemId == _itemID;

    if(!inventTable)

        inventTable = CustVendExternalItem::findExternalItemId(

                        ModuleInventPurchSalesVendCustGroup::Cust,

                        _acct,

                        _itemid).inventTable();

    return inventTable;

}