Hi Per,

Can you please tell me where you got the information about the load balancing algorithm where users are assigned in batches of 20 to an AOS cluster?

From countless experiments I have always seen the AOS with the lowest number at all times being assigned the next user who log on to the system. Am I understaning you right or do I get you wrong?

If this applies to a specific version and service pack please let me know. Thanks.

Varden Morris
Senior Developer
WellPoint Systems Inc.
Suite 2000, 500 - 4th Ave SW
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
T2P 2V6

 (403) 444-5848 direct
 (403) 444-3900 main
 (403) 615-1604 cell
 www.wellpoint.ca

Per Jakobsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I just want to add my two cents.

It is correct that Axapta can not use more than two processers in one
machine. and therefore clustering (load balancing would be better), however
Axapta load balancing is based upon a simple algorithm that assigns users in
batches of 20 to an AOS in a cluster.

About fault tolerance then if one AOS breaks down, users connected to that
AOS would have to manually reconnect to the cluster (hence the other AOS).

And btw I have heard that Axapta performs better on AMD Athlon 64
processors.

Also it will be interesting on what will happen when dual core processors
hit the server market, again I think with AMD's optimized dual core
technology and optimized memory sharing between the cores, that AMD will
outperform intel running Axapta.

Per

>From: Varden Morris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: Axapta-Knowledge-Village@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: RE: [Axapta-Knowledge-Village] Load balancing the AOS
>Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:20:30 -0800 (PST)

> I would just like to add a few things here so that we might be all clear
>on this subject as we help each other.
>
> From my experience one slow AOS or Database server on the same network
>will slow down the entire system. This means that even if the database
>server meets and exceeds the required specifications and the AOS does not
>quite meet the specifications the whole system will operate at the same
>slow speed. The same goes for two AOS where one is better than the other,
>and even for slow client machines on the network that are actively using
>the Axapta Application. It is like a highway, with many lanes to
>accommodate heavy traffic (High Bandwidth), that narrows down to fewer
>lanes at a particular section (High Latency). This will result in slow
>moving traffic (for the entire highway) until the entire highway is
>designed to meet the demand of the traffic.
>
> One fact about AOS from the Microsoft Official Training Material is as
>quoted: “Testing has shown than an AOS does not use more than 2 CPUs in the
>same computer as additional CPUs in separate servers. Due to the cost of
>Quad or larger CPU servers, adding servers is more cost effective.” This is
>self explanatory.
>
> One important reason for using more than one AOS server is to provide
>fault tolerance that is not provided by two AOS services running on one
>server. If one server fails you should at least have another one to keep
>the application going until the other one is fixed. Hope this helps in some
>way.
>
> Varden Morris
> Senior Developer
> WellPoint Systems Inc.
>Suite 2000, 500 - 4th Ave SW
>Calgary, Alberta, Canada
>T2P 2V6
>
> (403) 444-5848 direct
> (403) 444-3900 main
> (403) 615-1604 cell
> www.wellpoint.ca
>

>Brandon George <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote: Malcolm,
>
> Here is the post on the blog about this email:
>http://dynamics-ax.blogspot.com/2005/12/aos-load-balancing-when.html

For $25, 15 Afghan women can learn to read. Your gift can make a difference.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rQ8GtB/SdGMAA/cosFAA/kGEolB/TM

Varden Morris
Senior Developer
WellPoint Systems Inc.